Posted Wed, 08 Sep 2021 01:07:35 GMT by Peter Pignataro
Hello, 

In IVION I'm trying to understand what the best way to generate Maps for outdoor areas - specifically where the topography varies significantly. Generally what I do is I create a building and floor for the area I'm trying to capture, then in site model I set the underside of my floor below the lowest point of my scan, and the highest point of the floor a few feet above my high point. 

But I find that if the topography varies significantly then the map doesn't generate properly - generally missing large areas as though the map is only generating for points some distance above my bottom of floor. 

so I guess my question is 2-fold; 
1. Is there a better way of trying to capture outdoor spaces in IVION? 
2. How does the map generator work - perhaps I can be smarter about setting my floor areas to suit the plan (Ie, does it generate to the mid-point - in which case maybe I should stretch my floor to be taller arbitrarily). 

Thank-you, 
Peter

Posted Tue, 28 Sep 2021 15:20:07 GMT by Laurin Gottschall
Hi Peter, 

this is Laurin from NavVis Support. Thanks for raising this question... I will try to get back to you. 

The floormap generation in IVION is limited by the sitemodel within which the data is set. The algorithm only takes data into account which is within 1.8m above the floor of the site-model entity within which the data resides. In normal buildings this works as expected the majority of the time, however when scanning outdoors or in buildings where there are slopes the resulting map will most likely not look as expected.

1: Outdoor Spaces are indeed difficult for our current map generator and as you already pointed out slopes and height differences cause some issues. However our developers are aware of this shortcoming and they're already looking into possible solutions as to how this could be improved. 
2: Please see my explanation above, I hope this helps to better understand how we generate the 2D maps for existing site models. 

Let me know if this was of any help to you. If you have further questions please feel free to reach out again. 

Best, 
Laurin
Posted Fri, 26 Nov 2021 19:03:30 GMT by Jared Matthews Senior Director / Director
Hi.

I am having the same issue as Peter.
I have a site that has a great level change, and the vector map produced is not complete. I am glad to hear that this has been flagged and being looked at by the developers :-)

I have a seperate question/query with regards to the generated nodes. Is there a way to select multiple nodes at the same time, or create nodes from scratch? I find that I have to spend lots of time individually clicking nodes and deleting them when they have been created randomly (as seen in the first image)

Posted Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:24:27 GMT by Laurin Gottschall

Hi Jared, 

that's a great question and I'm happy to help on this. You can definitely select several nodes at once. To do so just click the "Shift" key when selecting the next node. This should also be on the Hotkey Menu which you can show by entering a "?" on each individual IVION page. Based on the functionality you're using the hotkeys do differ. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any additional help with this. 

Best regards, 
Laurin

Posted Thu, 06 Jan 2022 13:04:49 GMT by Jared Matthews Senior Director / Director
Hi Laurin.

Thanks for your reply. I dont think it is understood what I mean by selecting multiple nodes at once.

In order to select nodes in an area, I have to click on each individual node. It would be handy if I could click and hold to drag a box around multiple nodes to select them all, and then delete.
Posted Mon, 17 Jan 2022 03:54:16 GMT by Patrick Hughes Senior Manager / Manager

Hi Laurin,

I have also come across the problem of creating site maps when there is a large deviation in Z height. Could you give us any idea to if this has been accepted onto the future updates and if so when are we likely to see this implemented?

I think a multiple selection box for the nodes on the navigation graph editor would be a big time saver. Currently it is a little frustrating when working in the graph editor, it could be optimised and improved but I think NavVis are aware of this. The principle is great, and I think it is a very useful tool, just a bit of tweaking to improve the UI. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Feedback